Q1. Panchayati Raj was started in India in the year
(a) 1956 (b) 1951 (c) 1959 (d) 1961
- On 2nd Oct 1959, at Nagaur District of Rajasthan.
Q2. Article 25 of the Constitution of India relates to
(a) Cultural and educational rights
(b) Right to freedom of religion
(c) Right against exploitation
(d) Ban on religious instruction in government institutions
- Article 25 –> Freedom of conscience and free profession, practice and propagation of religion.
Q3. Rajya Sabha is presided over by the
(a) President (b) Prime Minister (c) Vice-President (d) Home Minister.
# Repeat 2006
- Vice-President is the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Q4. Communalism Means
(a)Showing favour to one community
(b)All communities are equal before law
(c)Showing favour on the basis of religion
(d)None of these
Q5. Minimum age of an Indian citizen to be elected for Lok Sabha is
(a) 18 years (b) 20 years (c) 25 years (d) 35 years
- For PM its 25 years.
- For President its 35 years.
- To be elected for Rajya Sabha its 30 years.
Q6. The first Vice-President of India was
(a) G.S. Pathak (b) Dr. S. Radhakrishnan
(c) Dr. Zakir Hussain (d) V. V. Giri
- First President – Rajendra Prasad.
Q7. The first Amendment Act to the Indian Constitution was made in the year
(a) 1949 (b) 1951 (c) 1955 (d) 1960
- 1st Amendment Act 1951 added the Ninth Schedule.
Q8. The first speaker of Lok Sabha was
(a) G. S. Dhillon (b) Hukam Singh
(c) Ananthasayanam Ayyangar (d) Ganesh Vasudeo Mavalankar
- First Deputy Speaker –> M. Ayyangar.
- First Chairman Rajya Sabha –> S. Radhakrishnan.
- First Deputy Chairman Rajya Sabha –> S.V.K. Rao.
Q9. The National Development Council consists of
(a) Prime Minister (b) Chief Ministers of all States
(c) Members of the Planning Commission (d) All of the above
- NDC was established on 6 Aug, 1952.
- Its neither a Constitutional nor a Statutory Body.
- PM is the Chairman of NDC.
- NDC also includes all Union Cabinet Ministers (since 1967) and administrators of all UTs.
Q10. Which one, out of the following, is not a fundamental right?
(a) The right to equality (b) The right to freedom of religion
(c) The right to strike (d) The right against exploitation
Six Fundamental Rights :
- Right to Equality (Articles 14-18)
- Right to Freedom (Articles 19-22)
- Right against Exploitation (Articles 23-24)
- Right to freedom of religion (Articles 25-28)
- Cultural and Educational Rights (Articles 29-30)
- Right to Constitutional Remedies (Article 32)
Q11. By which amendment of the Constitution of India the right to property was excluded from the fundamental right?
(a) 40th Amendment (b) 41st Amendment (c) 43rd Amendment (d) 44th Amendment
- The 44th Amendment, 1978 deleted the Right to Property from the list of Fundamental Rights and made it only a Legal Right under Article 300A.
Q12. West Bengal Legislative Council was abolished in the year
(a) 1965 (b) 1967 (c) 1969 (d) 1971
- Was the upper house of bicameral legislature of WB; came into existence in 1952.
Q13. The President of India can declare emergency if there is
(a) War or threat of war (b) Failure of constitutional machinery
(c) Financial instability (d) Any of these three
- National Emergency –> Article 352
- Constitutional Emergency (President’s Rule) –> Articles 356 & 365
- Financial Emergency –> Article 360
Q14. Article 370 of the Constitution of India is applicable to
(a) Maharashtra (b) Jammu and Kashmir (c) Karnataka (d) Bihar
- The Govt. revoked Articles 370 and 35 (A) and bifurcated the state into two union territories Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh on 5th Aug, 2019.
Q15. In India, fourteen major commercial banks were nationalised in the year
(a) 1949 (b) 1953 (c) 1969 (d) 1975
Q16. In which plan was the target of deficit finance taken as zero?
(a) First Plan (b) Third Plan (c) Seventh Plan (d) Ninth Plan
Q17. From which year the policy of globalisation of Indian economy has been followed?
(a)1980 (b) 1985 (c) 1991 (d) 2000
Q18. Which one, out of the following, is not the objective of Indian Planning?
(a) Industrial growth (b) Population growth
(c) Self reliance (d) Productive employment generation
Q19. The Indian Planning Commission was formed in the year
(a) 1947 (b) 1949 (c) 1950 (d) 1951
- The was commission formed on 15 Mar, 1950 by resolution of Govt.
- It was dissolved on 17 Aug, 2014. NITI Aayog was commissioned on 1st Jan, 2015.
Q20. In the second industrial policy of-1956, industries were divided into
(a) two classes (b) three classes (c) four classes (d) six classes
- 1> Primary, 2> Secondary, 3>Tertiary.
- The Industries (Development and Regulation) Act was passed in 1951 to implement the Industrial Policy Resolution, 1948.
- Industrial Policy Statement of 1956 : Government revised its first Industrial Policy (i.e.the policy of 1948) through the Industrial Policy of 1956. — It was regarded as the “Economic Constitution of India” or “The Bible of State Capitalism”. — #Link
Q21. Which, out of the following, can be levied by the State Government?
(a) Income tax (b) Wealth tax (c) Tax on profession (d) Capital gains tax
- Taxes levied by Centre –> [indirect] Service Tax, Central Sales Tax, Customs Duty, Excise Duty. All these indirect taxes are included in GST (implemented 1st July, 2017). >>>>> Income Tax, Wealth Tax, Capital Gains Tax are [direct] central taxes.
- Taxes levied by State –> [indirect] Sales Tax & VAT (post 2005), Luxury Tax, Entertainment Tax, Motor Vehicles Tax, Tax on Vehicles Entering State, Transportation of Passengers & Goods Tax, Tax on Agri Income, Tax on Land & Buildings, Capitation Tax, Tax on Mineral Rights, Tax on Betting & Gambling. >>>>> Tax on profession (P Tax), stamp Duty are [direct] state taxes.
Q22. Which of the following is not one of the sources of revenue of the village panchayat?
(a) Government grants (b) Income tax (c) Local taxes on land (d) House tax
Q23. Community development is organised on the basis of
(a) Population (b) Community (c) Area (d) None of these
- Efforts in the past were concentrated over too much large an area since they tried to cover the whole country. They did not succeed. The first feature of the Community Development Projects is that they cover only a few selected areas for, concentrated effort. — #Link
- Community Development Prog. was launched on 2nd Oct, 1952.
Q24. ‘Operation Barga’ refers to
(a) a programme of universal registration of tenants
(b) recognition of sharing of outputs between landlords and share-croppers
(c) recognition of share-croppers’ rights to cultivate lands of absentee landlords
(d) equal distribution of lands
- Operation Barga was a land reform movement throughout rural West Bengal for recording the names of sharecroppers while avoiding the time-consuming method of recording through the settlement machinery. —#Wikipedia
- It was launched in 1978 and was concluded by mid 1980s.
Q25. Government of India has started selling share of selected public sectors from the year
(a) 1992 (b) 1993 (c) 1994 (d) 1997
Q26. When was the first West Bengal Human Development Report published?
(a) 2001 (b) 2002 (c) 2003 (d) 2004
- HDI ranks of districts as per 2004 report —> 1st] Kolkata (0.78); 2nd] Haora (0.68); 3rd] N 24Parganas (0.66); 4th] Darjeeling (0.65); 17th Last] Malda (0.44).